Reid Making Plans To Block Bush Recess Appointments
From Roll Call:
With just two days to go until the Thanksgiving recess, Democratic leaders once again are considering holding the Senate in a series of pro forma sessions to stop President Bush from using the break to install any of his outstanding executive branch nominees.
The move comes as speculation mounts that Bush will use the period to push through some controversial appointments while Senators are out of town for the two-week period. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) could all but block the president from doing so, however, if he opts to call the chamber into nonvoting sessions every three days -- thus doing away with an extended recess.
Reid spokesman Jim Manley declined Wednesday to outline the Democratic Leader's plans, only to say that the Senator hopes "to try to avoid" any unnecessary battles with the president over recess appointments. He did acknowledge the idea of holding pro forma sessions is being discussed.
"As we head into the recess, we are talking to the White House about how to avoid any possible confrontations over nominations," Manley said.
Democrats essentially have two choices when it comes to avoiding the controversial installments -- keep the Senate working, or strike a deal with the administration to ensure that they don't happen. In August, the most recent lengthy Senate break, Reid and the White House brokered an agreement whereby the Senate pushed through a series of outstanding nominees before leaving town in exchange for a truce over recess picks.
Since then, however, tensions have risen between the two branches, and on Wednesday sources said Reid doesn't seem willing to negotiate with the White House this time. Also, several Senate aides suggested that Bush is increasingly likely to exercise the option since the clock is ticking on the second term of his presidency.
"I don't think it should surprise anybody," said one GOP leadership aide.
Read the full story here.