It can now be said: Last week's episode of 30 Rock was the televised version of the episode staged at the Upright Citizen's Brigade a few weeks ago, wherein we were sworn to secrecy about plot points for the as-yet-unaired episode. Now that it's been broadcast in all its glory, we can reveal that the guest star was democratic strategist James Carville, giving Alec Baldwin's Jack Donaghy advice on how to have a relationship with someone on the other side of the aisle — especially when "the corporation has a strict bros before hos policy?" Next Carville advises Frank and Toofer on how to resolve their workplace conflict without losing face before their peers. He advises tackling every problem "Cajun style," in a phrase that maybe has now jumped the shark. Also, his bald head is very shiny. Watch:
I think I actually enjoyed this episode more as a live staged reading, because then you can actually hear the laugh lines, and there were plenty of them. Here are a few gems:
- Jack to C.C. (Edie Falco), his Democratic congresswoman squeeze: "I love when women have ambition. It's like a dog wearing clothes."
- Jack, responding to C.C. telling him that the orange-tinted kids suing the Sheinhart Wig Company had settled for $5 million: "$5 million? That's NBA sexual assault money,"
- Liz to Jenna on how she coddles her wildly: "I have to because you're so insecure you get jealous of babies for their soft skin." Jenna: "And how much attention they get."
- Toofer to Frank, wearing long hair and a trucker hat: "I can't keep dressing like you, the New Yorker Festival is next week!" (I love that Toofer got some play here. Kevin Powell is cute.)
- Tracy to Shaquille O'Neil in a clip from their animated family film clip: "Is what we did last night considered sex?"
If you want a recap, you can find it here. If you want a wig, try the Sheinhart Wig Company. Everyone looks good in a Sheinhart .
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more