Read more from CBS11's story...
Vance McGaugh was a normal healthy teenager. As his parents stood by his side at Cook Children's Medical Center, they kept expecting him to pull through.
But that didn't happen. By the time he made it the hospital it was too late. Now his parents hope his story will save others from the "superbug" MRSA.
"It still feels like a nightmare, and I can't wake up," said Missy McGaugh, Vance's mother. "He was part of my soul and now part of my soul is gone."
The 14-year-old first complained of feeling achy and tired in class at Young Junior High School in Arlington on Friday, March 7. His fever jumped to 103, and on Sunday Vance's parents took him to a clinic."They didn't do a nasal swab. They didn't do a throat swab. They didn't take any blood," said Missy.
The McGaugh's say the doctor didn't order any tests. She just sent Vance home with antibiotics, but the seventh grader didn't get any better. His fever would go up and down and by Tuesday he couldn't even walk. "He would make it to the bathroom, but couldn't get up because he was too tired," said Missy. The McGaugh's took Vance back to the clinic. "She said he looked yellow," she said.
Then they took him to Cook Children's Medical Center in Forth Worth. But by that time he had already gone into shock and he died 12 hours later.
In case you were wondering, MRSA stands for "Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus", an infection caused by staph, or "Staphylococcus aureus bacteria".
Go here to read about MRSA symptoms and how to prevent it.
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more