She may violently oppose abortion, and have made the women of Wasilla pay for their own rape kits, but Sarah Palin has been great for women in another way: Suddenly, there's this great new on-screen role for women! If you're a brunette all you need to do is throw on some glasses, pile your hair up in a beehive, don a red jacket and voila — you've tapped into the Zeitgeist. The best known of these, of course, is Tina Fey, who comes by her Palin impression honestly (it really is amazing how alike those two look). But even so, there have been plenty of other noteworthy efforts. Here are a few:
(1) Obama Girl: Barely Political scores another hit with this latest in the series, this time with Obama Girl (Amber Lee Ettinger) playing a pretty doggone funny Palin. Love the part where she takes the pic in the racy tee, and when she gives birth during a phone call:
(2) Judith Owen: Some nice synergies here for My Damn Channel in this video starring Harry Shearer's wife as a feisty Palin singing "Bridge To Nowhere" (written by Shearer:
(3) Liz Cackowski: The former SNL writer and current writer-star of the online web series, "The Jeannie Tate Show" (with writer-director Maggie Carey) stars in College Humor's "Head of Skate," the trailer for the imaginary Palin-inspired Disney movie that Matt Damon shudderingly evoked. It's great. Amazing production values:
(4) Sara Benincasa: This red-haired comedienne transformed herself into Palin online in a series of YouTube vids, and was picked up by HuffPo sister-site 23/6 as a regular feature:
(5) Rob Lathan and Will Hines: NY comedians and UCB regulars Lathan and Hines have their own take. Okay, they're not chicks. But Lathan's package is totally feminine:
(6) Here's the little-known video of Tina Fey as Palin, along with Amy Poehler as Hillary Clinton . It's got 5,683,860 views so far on the NBC player (this does not include clips on YouTube, Hulu, or any other player where they no doubt have also been watched millions of times). Not like the multiple-Emmy-winner Fey needed much help, but her Palin impression certainly hasn't hurt; she just signed a book deal with Little, Brown for $6 million.
(7) ...and of course, the follow-up with Poehler as Katie Couric which got 2.5 million views:
(8) Honorable mention: Palin has been an unexpected boon to moose, too.
UPDATE, Oct. 4th:
Here's the latest from Tina Fey as Palin on SNL tonight, this time in the SNL spoof of the VP debate with Joe Biden, featuring Queen Latifah as Gwen Ifill:
More videos here.
How will Donald Trump’s first 100 days impact YOU? Subscribe, choose the community that you most identify with or want to learn more about and we’ll send you the news that matters most once a week throughout Trump’s first 100 days in office. Learn more