WASHINGTON-- As many as 1,500 computers in the Defense Department were taken off line because of a cyber attack, Pentagon officials said.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates says he expects systems will recover soon after Wednesday's attack.
Gates said the Pentagon sees hundreds of attacks a day, and this one had no adverse impact on department operations. Employees whose computers were affected could still use their handheld BlackBerries.
The attack comes several days after several government agencies within the Department of Homeland Security admitted staffers had been attacked more than 800 times in the past two years.
Click here to read more.
During a press briefing Gates said of the Pentagon cyber attacks: "We obviously have redundant systems in place. ... There will be some administrative disruptions and personal inconveniences."
AROUND THE WEB
PCWorld.com Pentagon Shuts Down Systems After CyberAttack
Associated Content Pentagon bans computer flash drives