Erectile dysfunction occurs when a man can't achieve or maintain an erection during sex.
The American Academy of Family Physicians says the condition doesn't have to be a natural part of getting older. ED often is attributed to physical or psychological causes. Physical reasons may include:
* Having a side effect of surgery on the prostate or bladder, or radiation therapy to the testicles.
* Having low testosterone levels, kidney failure, liver failure, multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's disease.
* Having chronic conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or hardening of the arteries.
* Having had a stroke or an injury to the brain or spinal cord.
* Using too much tobacco or alcohol.
* Being tired.
We’re basically your best friend… with better taste. Learn more