How To Swap Your Unwanted Holiday Gift Cards

03/06/2009 05:12 am ET | Updated May 25, 2011
  • Shelly Banjo Wall Street Journal

Problem: You received a gift card for the holidays but don't ever shop at that store.

Solution: Trade it in. At Web sites such as, or, you can swap your unwanted card for a different one or trade it in for cash. But depending on the service you use and the popularity of the card, you may receive only a portion of the card's value back. Typically a user must first create a free account and provide details of the card, such as merchant name, value and expiration date. Requirements and procedures vary by Web site.

Read more on Wall Street Journal