A-Rod made a surprise cameo on the "Late Show" to help David Letterman mock the star player's steroid use, in fact it was probably a surprise even to him. Letterman's producers took a clip of the baseball star receiving a rub-down from a member of the "Late Show" team in 2007 but changed the intro to imply he was getting steroid cream rubbed into his back.
Since Rodriguez admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs, he has been prime fodder for late night comedians, and Letterman has been no exception. He did an A-Rod themed Top Ten List on Monday (transcript available below).
Top Ten Messages Left on Alex Rodriguez's Answering Machine last night...
10. "Hey, it's Mark McGwire. Want to get together this week and not talk about the past?"
9. "Joe Torre here--thanks for helping book sales"
8. "Could you find a steroid that keeps you from choking in the playoffs?"
7. "Are you worried this will taint all the championships you didn't win?"
6. "It's Bernie Madoff. Nice try but I'm still the most hated man in New York"
5. "Michael Phelps here. Got any snacks?"
4. "This is Sammy Sosa. Just pretend you don't speak English"
3. "Michael Phelps again. Did I call you or did you call me?"
2. "Hey, it's Rod Blagojevich--I'll say you're innocent, if you say I am"
1. "It's Madonna. You got a phone number for Jeter?"