A Chicago police detective accused of killing two people while driving drunk on the Dan Ryan last week was not given any "professional courtesy" from fellow officers when charges were dropped in previous traffic incidents, Police Supt. Jody Weis said Monday.
From the Tribune:
Joseph Frugoli, 41, was not administered field sobriety tests in a January 2005 crash on the Dan Ryan near 31st Street in which he rear-ended another vehicle or a January 2008 incident in which he allegedly struck a police vehicle near 39th Street while off duty. Tickets were dropped in both cases.
At a Monday press conference Weis said, "I have no reason to believe there was any professional courtesy given to him." Watch his remarks (relevant portion begins around 18 minutes in):
Frugoli, 41, crashed his SUV into a car parked along the Dan Ryan near Pilsen Friday, killing the driver, 23-year-old Andrew Cazares of Summit, and passenger Fausto Manzera, 21, of Chicago. The 18-year police veteran was charged with reckless homicide, aggravated driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident. His blood alcohol level was three times the legal limits, according to state police.
Frugoli appeared briefly in court Monday and was granted a continuation of the case until May 1, NBC Chicago reports. The appearance was a stark contrast from Sunday's hearing, when outraged friends and family of the victims caused a stir over Frugoli's $500,000. Watch: