The Child Nutrition Act of 2004 is set to expire on September 30, and hunger, health and nutrition advocates across the country are encouraging Congress to support The Child Nutrition Promotion and School Lunch Protection Act of 2009, an amendment to the original bill that would provide further funding for food service programs and farmers markets.
The dedicated folks at Mazon are asking advocates to Tweet their representatives and ask them to support the House or Senate Bill. Tag your Tweet with #hr1324 or #s934, depending on which representative you're going after.
From the Mazon Blog:
- Sign up for Twitter (if you haven't already).
- Go to Tweet Congress. Find your reps using their zip code search.
- Address your rep directly using @
- Ask them to support H.R.1324, The Child Nutrition Promotion and School Lunch Protection Act (if they're in the House) or S.934, The Child Nutrition Promotion and School Lunch Protection Act (if they're in the Senate)
- If you have characters to spare, ask your followers to RT (retweet) or include the hashtags #hr1324 or #s934 so we can track your support.
You can head over to the Food Research & Action Center to learn more about the specifics behind this act. Among the benefits it would provide: free school meals for homeless and runaway children, extending eligibility to submit school meal applications for low-income families, and reduced-price meals for children from military families.
Need an example Tweet? Check mine out below: