Rachael Shardlow, a 10-year-old Australian girl, may have rewritten medical history after she survived a sting by a box jellyfish, which is considered the world's most venomous creature.
Rachael had been swimming in Calliope River, near the town of Gladstone when she was stung. Losing consciousness, her 13-year-old brother had to pull her out with the jellyfish's tentacles still wrapped around her legs.
Box jellyfish, smaller than a finger nail with long winding tentacles, are known for their incredibly painful stings. There is no known antidote and most victims die by drowning or heart failure.
Zoology professor Jamie Seymour, from James Cook University, told ABC news, "When I first saw the pictures of the injuries I just went, 'You know, to be honest, this kid should not be alive.'
"I mean, they are horrific. Usually when you see people who have been stung by box jellyfish with that number of the tentacle contacts on their body, it's usually in a morgue."