The art market has spoken: the first half of 2010 has been a success for Christie's. Worldwide sales have been up 46% compared to the same period last year and private sales have increased 37%. This year's buyers seem particularly enchanted by Post-War & Contemporary and Asian art, both of which saw over 100% increases. Despite discouraging sales in 2009, Christie's garnered revenue from sales of Impressionist and Modern Art, American Paintings, Russian Art, and Latin American Works.
Click through the slideshow to see the action surrounding four of the top ten works of art sold at Christie's Worldwide. The full list is below.
1) $106,482,500 - Pablo Picasso, Nude, Green Leaves and Bust, oil on canvas, painted on 9 March 1932. World auction record for any artwork sold at auction, World auction record for the artist (New York 4-May-10)
2) $53,282,500 - Alberto Giacometti, Grande tete mince, bronze, conceived in 1954 (New York 4-May-10)
3) $52,620,923 - Amedeo Modigliani, Tete de caryatide, sculpture, executed between 1911-12. Highest price achieved for a work of art ever sold in France. World auction record for the artist (Paris 14-Jun-10)
4) $51,585,695 - Pablo Picasso, Portrait d'Angel Fernandez de Soto, oil on canvas, 1903 (London 23-Jun10)
5) $28,642,500 - Jasper Johns, Flag, encaustic on newspaper collage on lithograph laid on canvas, painted between 1960-196 (New York 11-May-10). World auction record for the artist
6) $27,901,055 - Gustav Klimt, Frauenbildnis (Portrait of Ria Munk III), oil and charcoal on canvas, 1917 (London 23-Jun-10)
7) $25,842,500 - Alberto Giacometti, La Main, bronze with brown and green patina, conceived in 1947 and cast by Alexis Rudier Foundry in March 1948 (New York 4-May-10)
8) $20,802,500 - Alberto Giacometti, Le Chat, Bronze, conceived in 1951 (New York 4-May-10)
9) $18,338,500 - Andy Warhol, Silver Liz, spray enamel, synthetic polymer and silkscreen inks on linen, 1963 (New York 11-May-10)
10) $18,011,679 - Pablo Picasso, Le baiser,, oil on canvas, 1969 (London 23-Jun-1)
Source: Mutual Art
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more