NYC

Bowlmor Lanes in Former Newsroom of The New York Times

01/19/2011 05:12 am ET | Updated May 25, 2011

At the dawn of last century The Times left Printing House Square, near City Hall, for a new tower in a modest uptown stretch that soon came to be known as Times Square. Then, in 1913, the newspaper secured its dominion over the neighborhood with the addition of an 11-story building at 229 West 43rd Street, its white-brick and terra-cotta facade vaguely suggested a Gothic chateau.

For generations afterward, that building resounded with the noise of news: the keyboard clattering, the reporter yips, the editor shouts, the groans and hums of the presses. Trashed with journalistic detritus, expanded, renovated, and trashed again, it was a dump. But it was our dump...

Read more on nytimes.com

Suggest a correction