Official Contest Rules: Fight On
Overview of Official Rules
These rules are divided into 3 parts:
• A description of the Contest Basics, Prize, and Duties of the Winner;
• The General Rules for participation; and
• Legal Terms and Conditions
Part 1: Contest Basics, Prize and Duties of the Winner:
• Contest Period: From noon (EST) on December 20, 2010 through noon (EST) on February 20, 2011. The winners will be released on February 28, 2011. The contest is co-administered by The HuffingtonPost.com, Inc. ("HuffPost"), Junior Chamber International JCI, CITI Performing Arts Center, New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Newark High School, Take Back the Mic Bay Area, and Image of Change, ("Co-Administers") and is sponsored by Take Back the Mic, LLC ("TBTM"). HuffPost reserves the right to modify, delay, suspend, or terminate the contest at any time in its sole discretion.
• To Enter: Go to http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/20/fight-on-create-your-own-_n_799220.html#s212028 for details. Follow the instructions to complete and submit the online contest material (the "Entry").
• How the Winner Will be Selected:
• Step 1: The "Jury Award": during the Contest Period, registered users of the HuffPost site will be permitted to vote for the best Entry. Registered users have one vote per video, and there is no limit on the number of videos registered users can vote on. However, registered users will not be permitted to cumulate their votes on any particular video or group of videos. Registered users must vote based on the following criteria: originality (25%); story (25%); aesthetic value (25%); and emotional impact (25%). Shortly following the expiration of the Contest Period, the top five (5) vote getters will be announced (the "Finalists").
• Step 2: The "Judging Panel": the Finalists will be evaluated by a Judging Panel consisting of individuals in the arts, technology, development & social entrepreneurship industries and other guest judges determined by HuffPost and TBTM (collectively, the "Judges"); the Judges will be announced to the public on January 17, 2011. HuffPost retains the right at any time, to modify the number of or participating panelists with or without notice. To the extent permitted by law, HuffPost and TBTM disclaim any liability from, and entrants (whether or not awarded a prize) agree to waive, any claims against HuffPost, TBTM and the Judges relating to the judging or awarding process. The Judges will be asked to make their selection of the best Entry based on the following criteria: originality (25%); story (25%); aesthetic value (25%); and emotional impact (25%). Each category will receive a score of 1-5 with a total potential score of 20. In the event of a tie, the video with the larger number of audience votes from the initial round will win. The person responsible for submitting the best Entry will be designated the "Winner" for purposes of this contest.
• The Prize: The Winner will receive $4,500.
Part 2: General Rules:
1) Your entry must be a new work.
Your Entry must be created specifically for the Take Back the Mic contest. You are not permitted to submit a pre-existing project or a project that already exists elsewhere on the web. Your project may incorporate preexisting materials, provided you modify or transform them enough to create a new, original work. There is no fee to enter the Take Back the Mic contest.
2) Your entry must be hosted on the official YouTube server.
Your entire project must reside on the YouTube server, and must be embedded on HuffPost and TBTM sites via the YouTube embed code.
Following the Take Back the Mic contest, HuffPost may elect to archive your entry for subsequent publication by it and terminate your on-going access to the contest server.
3) You can launch your entry at any time but the "People's Choice" (i.e., Step 1) portion of the contest will be based on votes accumulated as of the end of the Contest Period, without taking into account when you made your Entry.
As noted above, at the end of the Contest Period the five (5) entries with the most number of votes as of such time will advance to the Judging Panel.
See http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/20/fight-on-create-your-own-_n_799220.html#s212028 more details. Also, pay attention to Part 3, as you must refrain from submitting pornography, illegal content, and the like.
5) You own your entry, but we can use it.
You are free to use your entry on your own personal site or elsewhere offline however you please, and the content you submit is your sole responsibility. Otherwise, HuffPost will be the exclusive on-line publishers of your entry through the end of the Take Back the Mic Tour in April 2011 (regardless of whether you win or lose the contest), without any additional compensation to you. During the exclusivity period you will not permit or authorize your entry to be published elsewhere on-line (other than your own personal site). Following the exclusivity period, HuffPost may continue during the ensuing twelve (12) months to publish your entry in its discretion, just no longer on an exclusive basis.
6) HuffPost receives an online, royalty free license to use the entry.
This license means HuffPost can use your entry (on an exclusive basis for the designated exclusivity period, as described in item no. 5 above) online for the purpose of the contest, for archives and subsequent publication, promotions, and other related uses, without any additional compensation to you. HuffPost will not transfer this exclusive (for the period designated in item no. 5 above), royalty free license to other parties.
7) Individuals may submit as many entries as they would like.
You are only allowed to submit one entry per person. Please note that the contest prize will only be awarded a single individual; if you work in or collaborate with a group, that group should decide in advance which member of the group -- if such group wins - will receive the prize money.
8) No ads, no bots, no scams.
You are permitted to lawfully promote your entry however you see fit, with the following exceptions: you may not use paid advertisements, automated processes that fake traffic, scams that produce traffic without people actually seeing your content, or sending SPAM. HuffPost reserves the right to disallow such other forms of promotion as HuffPost may, in its discretion, determine to be inappropriate.
9) HuffPost may link to projects while the contest is in progress.
That means you should make something appealing and promotable to increase the chances that external links may help your entry by directing more traffic to you. Of course, employees of HuffPost and their immediate families are not eligible for any prizes in the contest.
10) Your entry must include the hastags "TBTM" and "fightoncampaign" in the metadata.
Additionally, within the video, entrants are required to provide a 20 second introduction of themselves and a description of their topic.
11) No direct linking to media files or advertising.
The contest server does not allow direct links to files. You may not include any paid third party advertising in your entry.
12) Be Good.
HuffPost reserves the right to immediately remove and disqualify any entry that does not meet the contest rules or interferes with the integrity or spirit of the contest.
13) Free hosting.
HuffPost will provide free hosting during the contest period. Selected entries at the discretion of the HuffPost will have free hosting extended.
At the end of each contest period, entries that have not had their hosting extended will be archived or deleted at the discretion of the HuffPost.
15) Be creative and have fun.
Part 3: Terms and Conditions
2) No responsibility is assumed for incorrect or inaccurate Entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this contest or by any human error which may occur in the processing of Entries into this contest. HuffPost is not responsible for lost, late, delayed, mutilated, illegible or misdirected Entries or any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion or the Internet or at any Web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to participants or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this contest. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void. By participating in this contest, entrants acknowledge compliance with the General Rules described above and these Terms and Conditions.
3) Entries must not contain obscene or pornographic material, contain defamatory or libelous statements, invade privacy rights, exploit the images of individuals under the age of eighteen (18) or in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations. Furthermore, Entries which contain explicit, graphic or excessive sexual activity are not allowed. When sexual themes are key to the concept or plot of an Entry they must be depicted with consistent regard for commonly accepted standards of taste and propriety. Language will be evaluated by HuffPost based on context and societal acceptability. Entries containing any inappropriate (as described above) content or which are otherwise deemed by HuffPost in its sole discretion to be inappropriate based on the foregoing criteria, will be disqualified.
4) HuffPost reserves the right to delay the announcement of the Finalists and the winner in its sole discretion. All Finalists and the winner will be notified by email or telephone. HuffPost will make up to three attempts to contact each Finalist's and the winner's primary contact (as indicated on the applicable Entry). If the primary contact for any Finalist or the winner is unreachable during the 72 hours in which he or she is contacted, HuffPost will make up to three additional attempts over a 48 hour period to contact such primary contact. If after such period, the applicable Finalist or the winner is unreachable, the next top vote getting entrant may be included as a Finalist or the judges will select an alternative winner, as applicable. In addition, HuffPost reserves the right to select an alternate winner in the event that any entrant fails to comply with the any of the General Rules described above or these Terms and Conditions.
5) Entrants, as a condition of eligibility and participation in the contest (in the absence of which an entrant would not be permitted to participate in or enter the contest): (i) release HuffPost and all its corporate parents, subsidiaries, members, officers, directors, managers, employees, affiliated entities, consultants, volunteers, and advertising agencies, from any and all liability, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injury and/or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm or damages suffered in connection with this contest; (ii) release Harpo, Inc. and all its corporate parents, subsidiaries, members, officers, directors, managers, employees, affiliated entities, consultants, volunteers, and advertising agencies, from any and all liability, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injury and/or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm or damages suffered in connection with this contest; (iii) release the Co-Administers and the sponsor, Take Back the Mic, and all their corporate parents, subsidiaries, members, officers, directors, managers, employees, affiliated entities, consultants, volunteers, and advertising agencies, from any and all liability, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injury and/or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm or damages suffered in connection with this contest; (iv) except where prohibited by law, grant HuffPost the right to use his or her name and likeness and Entry for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation; (v) confirm their exclusivity obligations described above in item no. 5 of the General Rules; and (vi) by virtue of their entry in the contest, accept and agree to the General Rules described above and these Terms and Conditions and the other conditions of participation in this contest. Entry into this contest constitutes all entrants' agreement to sign such further releases, waivers and other instruments as the HuffPost may from time to time request or as may be otherwise necessary or desirable to more effectively implement the foregoing agreements and releases. In furtherance of the foregoing, Finalists and the winner must also complete any additional documentation provided by HuffPost and return such documentation to HuffPost within seven (7) days after receipt of such documents. Noncompliance by any participant may result in such participant's disqualification. HuffPost reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to: (a) be tampering with the Entry process or the administration of the contest or (b) be acting in violation of the General Rules described above or these Terms and Conditions. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY ANY ENTRANT (AT HUFFPOST'S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH ENTRANT'S DISQUALIFICATION AS A PARTICIPANT IN OR WINNER OF THE CONTEST AND ALL RELATED PRIVILEGES OF ENTRANT WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED. All entrants into this contest are solely responsible for consulting with qualified professionals and investigating, understanding and complying with any and all federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations and ordinances which may apply to entrants and the activities and/or business in which such entrants may engage. There may be tax consequences associated with the prizes awarded and with any income received by a prize Recipient, which may include, without limitation, an obligation to report as income and to pay taxes on such funds/income to federal, state and/or local authorities. It is up to the prize recipients to determine the tax consequences of such funds/income, and to comply with all applicable laws in all respects, if applicable.
6) Entrants hereby agree to submit their Entries under the following terms and conditions: (i) entrants have obtained all rights, permissions and licenses necessary to use the materials submitted in connection with an Entry for any purpose; for the purposes of this contest, TBTM grants entrants a non-exclusive, worldwide license to use the "Fight On" song; (ii) that no Entry, or any part thereof, infringes any trademark or copyright or otherwise violates anyone's right of privacy or publicity; (ii) by submitting an Entry, entrants consent to HuffPost exhibiting all materials contained therein, as contemplated under the General Rules set forth above (including the exclusivity obligations described in such rules) and these Terms and Conditions; (iii) Entrants indemnify and hold harmless HuffPost and its corporate parents, subsidiaries and affiliates, from any claims, suits, losses damages and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees) that arise from any breach or violation of the foregoing conditions. All entrants agree to the foregoing and in addition agree to obtain, upon request of HuffPost, any documentation and releases necessary to prove their unrestricted ownership in all materials contained in their Entries and HuffPost's right to exhibit, broadcast, copy, reproduce, encode, compress, encrypt, incorporate data into, edit, broadcast, rebroadcast, transmit, record, publicly perform, create derivative works of, and distribute and synchronize in timed relation to visual elements the foregoing materials without limitation for any purpose, without compensation to entrants. For the avoidance of doubt, entrants confirm that they have granted to HuffPost the right to exhibit, broadcast, copy, reproduce, encode, compress, encrypt, incorporate data into, edit, broadcast, rebroadcast, transmit, record, publicly perform, create derivative works of, and distribute and synchronize in timed relation to visual elements the Entry, all as and to the extent described in the General Rules set forth above (including the exclusivity obligations described in such rules) and these Terms and Conditions. Entrants further agree to sign such documentation as is necessary to formalize the foregoing licenses.
11) For the names of the Finalists and the winner, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc., 560 Broadway, Suite 308 NY, NY 10012 ATTN: Rob Fishman. Requests must be received by April 30, 2010.
12) This contest is sponsored by Take Back the Mic LLC, 7336 Santa Monica Blvd. #223, West Hollywood, CA 90046.
13) The Entrants agree that irreparable damage would occur in the event that any of the provisions of the General Rules set forth above or these Terms and Conditions were not performed in accordance with their specific terms or were otherwise breached. It is accordingly agreed that the HuffPost shall be entitled to an injunction or injunctions to prevent breaches of the General Rules or these Terms and Conditions and to enforce specifically the terms and provisions of the General Rules or these Terms and Conditions in any court of competent jurisdiction. The foregoing right is in addition to, and not in lieu of, any other rights HuffPost may have in respect of a breach of the General Rules or these Terms and Conditions, whether at law or in equity.
14) This contest is governed by the laws of the State of New York. This contest is not valid in the state of Arizona and where prohibited or restricted by law. These official rules are subject to all applicable federal, state, local and foreign laws and regulations including any requirements/limitations imposed by the Federal Trade Commission or any other governmental agency.
How will Donald Trump’s first 100 days impact YOU? Subscribe, choose the community that you most identify with or want to learn more about and we’ll send you the news that matters most once a week throughout Trump’s first 100 days in office. Learn more