ENTERTAINMENT

'Mad Men' Creator Matthew Weiner Talks Show's Comeback

01/24/2011 01:33 pm ET | Updated May 25, 2011

What's Don Draper's next move? It hasn't been written yet.

'Mad Men' creator Matthew Weiner spoke to Entertainment Weekly about the status of his Emmy-winning show, which has been in limbo since the end of season four and its contract with AMC. "I am not looking for a new job. I'm dying to go back to work," he said -- but right now, there's no work to do.

"I have every intention of making the show when they [AMC] decide to work out their business with Lionsgate," he told EW. "I can't wait to come back to work. I have said over and over in public that I want the show to go on and on and on until it has worn out its welcome with viewers and we can't think of anything more for the characters to do.

"But the truth is I don't even know what their plans are. We have not started writing. I am not back at work," he continued. "It would be heartbreaking for me if they don't work it out, horrifying really. It would be a shame for fans to never get to see what great stuff we have planned for Don and company."

Earlier in January, AMC announced that the show would be back, but exec Joel Stillerman cautioned, "'Mad Men' is definitely coming back for Season 5, but don't ask me when, because we're not sure yet."

In the mean time, the cast of the show has been busy. Star John Hamm starred in last summer's 'The Town,' though he apparently won't be the next Superman. January Jones is in the upcoming 'X-Men' film (she also just broke up with SNL's Jason Sudeikis).

Suggest a correction