Four students at Evanston Township High School were hospitalized last week, after eating pot brownies baked by a classmate.
The 17-year-old who brought the drug-laced snack to school was charged with marijuana possession Wednesday, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. Apparently there was too much weed in the mix, as a total of six students fell ill as a result of eating them. Those were apparently the only students who ingested the brownies, and no one faced any serious health problems.
"It appears the students knew what they were eating," school administrators said in a letter sent to parents. The letter also encourages parents to talk about drug use and its consequences with their kids.
But as NBC Chicago reports, this isn't exactly an unusual incident at Evanston Township High:
One student, who wished to remain anonymous, said "well more than half" of the students at the school are known to use marijuana.
Another student, Jade Carter, said she had heard about the pot brownie incident and was suprised that people got sick, but is "never surprised to hear about kids smoking."
And it is reminiscent of a separate December 2010 incident, in which a student at suburban Maine South High School was also arrested for making pot brownies, and selling them for $10 each on campus.
The Tribune reports that ETHS officials were declining to discuss their plans for disciplining the students involved.
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more