The Fatty Crew, however, doesn't seem to be too concerned. "We just couldn't think of a better way to celebrate winning Best New Brooklyn Restaurant," said owner Zak Pelaccio and staff in a statement obtained by Grub Street, referring to the Time Out New York award they received the same day the DOH turned off their smokers to the public.
Fatty 'Cue has yet to announce when they will be back up and barbecuing.
The 11 violations include evidence of rats and mice, missing certificates and food from unapproved sources (see the full list below).
Has Fatty Cue gotten too cocky? We've seen a couple places turn mediocre DOH grades into lighthearted fun, but hopefully for Brooklyn bbq fans, Pelaccio and staff are taking their failing grade a little more seriously.
1) Food from unapproved or unknown source or home canned. Reduced oxygen packaged (ROP) fish not frozen before processing; or ROP foods prepared on premises transported to another site.
2) Food Protection Certificate not held by supervisor of food operations.
3) Food worker does not use proper utensil to eliminate bare hand contact with food that will not receive adequate additional heat treatment.
4) Evidence of rats or live rats present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
5) Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
6) Hand washing facility not provided in or near food preparation area and toilet room. Hot and cold running water at adequate pressure to enable cleanliness of employees not provided at facility. Soap and an acceptable hand-drying device not provided.
7) Refrigeration used to implement HACCP plan not equipped with an electronic system that continuously monitors time and temperature.
8) Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
9) Sanitized equipment or utensil, including in-use food dispensing utensil, improperly used or stored.
10) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
11) Other general violation.