One day following the first Republican presidential primary debate of the election season on Thursday night, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee was asked why he did not participate in the forum during an appearance on Fox News.
"It's internal, do I really want to put my family and myself through this process?" he explained when pressed on his timeline for making a decision on whether to run in 2012. "And do I believe that Republicans can do something other than Balkanize themselves, I worry about that ... because there seems to be this sense of fracture where people want you to be everything or nothing."
One of the qualifications for participating in Thursday night's debate sponsored by the South Carolina Republican Party and Fox News was to have registered "a presidential exploratory committee or have announced a formal campaign for president."
Huckabee said that he has no regrets about not taking part in the event. He signaled he could be expected to announce whether or not he'll run for president in the next one to two months.
Ed Rollins, who served as campaign manager for Huckabee's 2008 operation, told the Daily Beast last month, "Governor Huckabee is considering a presidential race seriously,” adding, “personally, it’s my sense that he’ll go for it this time.”
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more