07/11/2011 05:04 pm ET | Updated Sep 10, 2011

Marquis Harrison Allegedly Drank, Took Ecstasy, Smoked Weed Before Crash Killing Marciea Adkins

A two-sport athlete and honors student at the acclaimed Urban Prep Charter Academy has been charged as an adult with murder and other crimes after a car crash that killed a veteran police dispatcher.

Marquis Harrison, 16, is in custody after the Sunday morning wreck that killed Marceia Adkins, who was on her way home from a shift at the 911 center just after 6 a.m.

Adkins, a 42-year-old who had worked at the city's Office of Emergency Management and Communications for just shy of 15 years, was described by her coworkers in a statement as "the nicest, most positive person you would ever want to meet."

Police have put together a picture of how they believe the accident that killed her took place. According to the Chicago Tribune, Harrison was at a party drinking vodka, smoking marijuana and taking ecstasy. Early in the morning hours, he allegedly saw the driver of a Range Rover get out of his car to feed a meter, and jumped in the car, speeding off and violating all manner of traffic laws.

He was stopped by police near Goose Island, but during the stop nearly ran over the officers before driving away.

Not far from there, at the corner of Armitage and Hoyne in Bucktown, Harrison ran through a stop sign, slamming into Adkins' car and sending it careening into a fire hydrant. The Chicago Sun-Times writes that Harrison then kept driving after that accident before colliding with a parked car, which went flying through a brick wall. He then attempted to flee pursuing officers on foot before being detained.

Adkins had to be extracted from her car and taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where she died from her injuries.

ABC-7 reports that police have decided to press adult charges against Harrison, including first-degree murder, felony burglary, DUI, and other traffic violations. He was due in bond court on Monday.

"All I know is that this lady got hit and it shouldn't have happened, and the person that messed up is the person that walked out of that," witness Teddy Vejar told the station. "So, that's all I know -- doesn't seem fair."

She is survived by her husband, a Chicago Fire Department dispatcher, and a daughter.