Memphis School Year Delayed Indefinitely Over Funding Dispute

07/20/2011 10:12 am ET | Updated Sep 19, 2011

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- The school board in Memphis says it will indefinitely delay the start of class because of a dispute over money with the city government.

The board for Memphis City Schools voted 8-1 Tuesday night to postpone school until the City Council hands over $55 million in tax revenue it has set aside for the system this coming year, according to The Commercial Appeal. The school board says the city owes significantly more than that after several years of shortfalls.

Board member Tomeka Hart says the school system has been patient and needs the money in its account to pay bills.

City Council president Myron Lowery says some funding issues are tied up in court. He also says the city council supplies only about one-tenth of the schools' budget.

Classes had been scheduled to start on Aug. 8 for the more than 100,000 students in the district.

YOU MAY LIKE