SANAA/ADEN, July 25 (Reuters) - Yemen's opposition dismissed on Monday a government plan for talks aimed at easing unrest after months of mass protests demanding President Ali Abdullah Saleh's overthrow, saying it had not even heard of any such "roadmap" for peace.
Vice President Abd-Rabbu Hadi Mansour, who is acting president while Saleh remains in a Saudi Arabian hospital after an assassination attempt, said on Sunday that a road map would be launched within a week.
Government spokesman Tareq al-Shami told Reuters the plan would centre on talks with the opposition. "The roadmap is based on all sides gathering at the dialogue table and discussing all the issues," he said.
But the opposition repeated its refusal to talk to the government until Saleh signs a transition plan brokered by Gulf Arab states which the 69-year-old president has backed out of signing three times.
"We knew nothing about the idea of a road map. There is no such thing, and we have decided not to enter any dialogue until the Gulf initiative is signed or power is transferred to the vice president," said Mohammed Basindwa, a leader in Yemen's political opposition coalition.
Saleh is trying to cling to power after 33 years in office despite a bomb attack in June that severely wounded him and forced him to seek treatment in Riyadh. He has frustrated opposition hopes that he would concede defeat, instead vowing to return to Yemen and lead a national dialogue.
The United States and Saudi Arabia, both targets of foiled attacks by al Qaeda's Yemen-based wing, have warily watched unrest rise as Yemen remains mired in political deadlock. They worry the turmoil gives more room to al Qaeda to operate.
But Yemen's wealthy Gulf Arab neighbours and Washington have so far been unwilling or unable to force Saleh into a transition plan. Some have welcomed the proposals for dialogue, but the political opposition and protesters in the street have vowed to resist, insisting on Saleh's overthrow amid growing chaos.
TRIBES ROUT MILITANTS
In the south, tribesmen on Monday said they routed militants from parts of the capital of the flashpoint Abyan province. Zinjibar lies east of a key shipping channel where some 3 million barrels of oil pass daily, and is one of several areas in Abyan seized by militants in recent months.
The tribes began backing a military operation to recapture Zinjibar in recent weeks, after accusing the army of being ineffective.
A tribal source said fierce clashes on Monday sent many militants fleeing north to Lawdar, where they were repelled again. Six militants were wounded and four others captured, he said.
Some 90,000 civilians have fled Abyan to escape violence as the army and tribesmen confront militants the government says have links to al Qaeda.
Meanwhile, an army brigade in Abyan, whose base has been attacked by militants since neighbouring Zinjibar was seized in May, sent a plea to the military for more provisions.
The besieged 25th brigade had called on Sanaa earlier this month to send reinforcements, who have since broken part of a militants' blockade around the base. An officer said despite the dwindling supplies, the troops had not given up their fight.
"Our food supplies are starting to run out. We need more provisions; we only have a small amount left," said an officer. "But we are steadfast against the militants." (Writing by Erika Solomon and Isabel Coles)
Copyright 2011 Thomson Reuters. Click for Restrictions.