iOS app Android app More

Media Group Calls For UN Probe Of NATO Bombing Of Libya State TV

Libya

08/ 5/11 02:23 PM ET   AP

LONDON — An international media safety group has joined calls Friday for the United Nations to investigate NATO's bombing of Libyan television, which reportedly killed 3 people and injured 15.

The International News Safety Institute (INSI) asked U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to determine whether last week's airstrike amounted to a breech of a 2006 Security Council resolution that bans attacks on journalists.

Libyan officials said Saturday's airstrikes on the state television's satellite transmitters killed three journalists and injured 15 other people.

On Wednesday, the International Federation of Journalists also condemned the bombing and called for a probe.

NATO has said the bombing was in line with its U.N. mandate authorizing airstrikes to protect the civilian population.

But INSI director Rodent Pincer said such attacks could not be excused "on the basis that you disagree with the point of view of the news organizations."

"NATO forces in Libya are acting under a Security Counsel mandate to protect civilians and journalists are civilians," he said.

FOLLOW HUFFPOST MEDIA

Filed by Jack Mirkinson  |