TruTV has just ordered up four episodes of a reality television show about the California Department of Motor Vehicles, reports Entertainment Weekly. Produced by Ashton Kutcher and his partner, Jason Goldberg (the two created "Punk'd" together), the show will "provide an eye-opening, behind-the-scenes look at hard-working personnel who deal with everything from issuing licenses and registering vehicles to maintaining accident records and investigating complaints," according to the press release.
Fair enough. Combining the low stakes of workplace drama with soul-crushing government bureaucracy doesn't sound like a recipe for success, but they sure have picked the right state try it out.
Here's just a few examples of wacky tales from the Golden State's DMV officers:
- Aggressive street preachers who provide people in lines with free entertainment.
- Student drivers who crash into the DMV during their driver test.
- Villainous DMV workers who steal handicapped parking placards.
- Organized crime -- "title washing."
- Selling drivers licenses to undocumented immigrants.
Looking forward to the premiere, Ashton!