Alex Rodriguez Responds To Poker Allegations, Calls Reports 'Extremely Inaccurate And Unfair'

08/19/2011 12:17 pm ET | Updated Oct 19, 2011

More than two weeks after reports came out alleging that Alex Rodriguez was involved in illegal poker games, the Yankees slugger has finally responded, saying that he looks forward to meeting with the league.

"The only thing I have to say about that is it was extremely inaccurate and unfair," Rodriguez told Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com.

Two days after the report came out, Rodriguez's publicist refuted the allegations, claiming that the accusation contained "numerous factual inaccuracies."

The 36-year-old third baseman just spent six weeks on the disabled list after undergoing knee surgery. He rejoined the Yankees on Thursday, but won't be activated until Saturday at the earliest.

To the delight of sportswriters in the Big Apple, the Yankees have managed to generate controversy even with A-Rod away from the team.

Manager Joe Girardi benched the slumping Jorge Posada last week and suggested that the longtime Yankees star might sit for a while.

"It's very disappointing," Posada said. "You want to be out there."

Earlier this month, a former Yankees batboy revealed several clubhouse secrets to the New York Post, including plenty about Derek Jeter and Rodriguez.