SPORTS

Manning to miss Colts opener against the Texans

09/07/2011 01:58 pm ET | Updated Nov 07, 2011

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning has been ruled out of Sunday's season-opener against the Houston Texans, having not fully recovered from a neck operation in May, the team said on Wednesday.

The four-times MVP had been sidelined throughout most of the pre-season after undergoing surgery and only recently was taken off the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) list, which allowed for some limited practice.

However, on Monday the team listed him as doubtful for Sunday's game, saying the recovery from his neck operation had slowed and that he must stop practicing.

"To say I am disappointed in not being able to play is an understatement," the 35-year-old Manning said in a statement. "The best part about football is being out there on the field with my team mates.

"It will be tough not to be out there playing for the organization and our fans. I simply am not healthy enough to play, and I am doing everything I can to get my health back.

"The team will do fine without me, and I know for sure that I will miss them much more than they will miss me."

Manning's absence on Sunday will end a run of 227 consecutive National Football League (NFL) games, the second longest streak for a quarterback, behind the now-retired Brett Favre (297).

Indianapolis coach Jim Caldwell told reporters on Wednesday that 16-year veteran Kerry Collins would be the starting quarterback against the Texans.

Collins was signed by the Colts last month as an insurance play in case Manning was not ready to start the season. The Colts also have quarterbacks Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky and Mike Hartline on their roster.

(Writing by Mark Lamport-Stokes in Los Angeles; Editing by Steve Ginsburg)

More:

Reuters
Suggest a correction