A Florida judge has ordered Casey Anthony to pay nearly $100,000 for costs related to the investigation of the disappearance of her daughter, Caylee.
In an order filed this afternoon, Judge Belvin Perry said Anthony is responsible for $97,676.98. The amount is significantly lower than the more than $500,000 officials were seeking.
- A breakdown of the reimbursements is listed in the court order.
- Florida Department of Law Enforcement:61,505.12
- Metropolitan Bureau of Investigation:10,283.90
- Orange County Sheriff's Office:25,837.96
- State Attorney's Office:50
Anthony could, however, end up owing more.
READ THE ORDER: (ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)
On July 5, a jury of seven women and five men acquitted Anthony of killing 2-year-old Caylee. The little girl's remains were found in December 2008 near the family home, some six months after she was last seen.
During her first-degree murder trial Anthony's attorney, Jose Baez, said Caylee had drowned in the family swimming pool. The revelation was in direct contrast to previous statements Anthony had given police, saying her daughter had been kidnapped. Because Anthony misled police, officials say thousands of dollars were wasted on search efforts and the investigation into Caylee's death.
According to the terms of the court order, the Orange County Sheriff's Office, the agency that headed up the search for Caylee, has until 4 p.m. Monday to file additional expense reports. If they are received and approved, Perry said he would enter an amended order.
Casey Anthony Trial
Don’t miss out — be the first to know all the latest and breaking news. Learn more