Michael Leago, Boulder Man, Floods Apartment Running Home Medical Marijuana Growing Operation
Michael Leago, a 28-year-old Boulder man running a home medical marijuana growing operation, was ticketed for “prohibited acts of marijuana” after his water system overflowed and flooded a neighbor’s downstairs unit, CBSDenver reports.
According to The Daily Camera, Leago’s pot plants were on a large rubber mat but the water feed into a 55-gallon bucket had been left on and ran over onto a very cracked concrete floor which sent the water into the downstairs unit. Leago’s water and electrical system alterations to the unit for the grow operation were never sanctioned by a building permit and a city building inspector declared both units uninhabitable due to the damage.
The water had been seeping through floor cracks and down the wall of the condo for enough time that 3 to 4 inches of water was found in the lower unit, 7News reports.
Because of their often clandestine nature that leads to do-it-yourself plumbing and electrical work, Wheat Ridge police chief Dan Brennan told the Denver Post in early 2011 that besides possible flooding, home grow operations can also lead to fires started by faulty wiring.
Speaking at a news conference in 2010, Colorado Attorney General John Suthers also voiced concerns for responders that raid or clean up these home grow operations facing mold hazards and increased carbon monoxide levels.
But it’s not just equipment failure that have Colorado’s home marijuana grow rooms catching a lot of heat for being unsafe to residents and neighbors. Back in 2010, Westword reported about an 11-year-old boy who accidentally shot himself in the foot, presumably while guarding his parents grow. Shortly thereafter, a 10-month-old toddler was was hospitalized after eating home made marijuana trail mix, according to The Denver Post.