Huffpost Education

Christy Grant, 7-Year-Old Girl, Gets Alcohol Poisoning From Drinking Hand Sanitizer (VIDEO)

Posted: Updated:

An angry father wonders why his 7-year-old girl was able to drink enough hand sanitizer to put her in the hospital with alcohol poisoning.

Christy Grant, a second grader at Neabsco Elementary School in Dale City, Va. was unconscious and unresponsive when she was rushed from school to the hospital, Grant's father told My Fox DC.

"She gave us a story. Somebody dared her. She did the dare,” Glen Grant said. “Under supervision, this would have never happened.”

A Neabsco Elementary official told My Fox DC that Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act laws prevent the school from commenting on the incident.

The young girl's dangerous ordeal is not the only example of hand-sanitizer-fueled alcohol sickness.

A chain email published in 2007 told the apparently mostly true story of a 4-year-old who got alcohol poisoning from licking her hands after applying hand sanitizer, according to The Seattle Times.

In Australia, health officials called for the soapy substance to be put under lockdown at stores after an alcoholic man gulped down enough to nearly kill him, the New York Daily News reported.

Around the Web

Second grader treated for alcohol poisoning after drinking hand sanitizer

Virginia Girl Gets Alcohol Poisoning After Ingesting Hand Sanitizer at School

2000 | Alcohol tragedies drop; poisoning cases up

Alcohol-poisoning awareness: On a quest to spare other families their pain