Carlos Tevez Suspended: Manchester City Striker Reportedly Refused To Play (VIDEO)
LONDON -- Carlos Tevez was suspended by Manchester City on Wednesday while the team investigates his apparent refusal to play during a Champions League game against Bayern Munich.
City manager Roberto Mancini said Tevez's career at the club was over after the Argentine forward refused to come off the substitutes' bench in the second half of the 2-0 loss at Bayern Munich on Tuesday night.
While Tevez claimed it was a misunderstanding, City started a disciplinary process.
"I would like to apologize to all Manchester City fans, with whom I have always had a strong relationship, for any misunderstanding that occurred in Munich," Tevez said in a statement earlier in the day. "In Munich on Tuesday I had warmed up and was ready to play. This is not the right time to get into specific details as to why this did not happen. But I wish to state that I never refused to play."
Mancini wanted to bring Tevez on for Samir Nasri with about 30 minutes left and City trailing 2-0.
"There was some confusion on the bench and I believe my position may have been misunderstood," Tevez said. "Going forward I am ready to play when required and to fulfill my obligations."
Mancini's stance was supported by FIFA Vice President Jim Boyce, who described Tevez's apparent petulance – broadcast live around the world – as "despicable."
"His club would be better off without him," Boyce told British broadcaster Sky Sports. "FIFA should have the power, as they do for drugs-related cases and other cases, to ban the player from taking an active part in football."
The 27-year-old captained City last season and lifted the FA Cup in May, the club's first major trophy since 1976. The Wembley success came after Tevez asked to leave the club in January.
Last summer, Tevez again publicly pushed for a transfer to be closer to his family in Argentina.