$18 Million Of Silver Found On SS Mantola Shipwreck In North Atlantic, Off Coast Of Ireland
Sunken treasure doesn't only surface in movies.
Explorers recently found about $18 million worth of silver onboard a shipwreck in the North Atlantic, and on Monday they announced their plans to retrieve the booty sometime this spring, The New York Times reports.
The SS Mantola was found about 8,000 feet underwater near the coast of Ireland, where it sank in 1917 after an attack by Germany on its way from London to Calcutta, NPR details. The ship was carrying about 19 tons of silver bars.
Odyssey Marine Exploration made the discovery last month, according to FOX News. And it's not the Florida treasure hunting company's first time striking gold on the ocean floor. In September, the hunters discovered the SS Gairsoppa, a cargo ship carrying more than $200 million worth of silver.
Both ships were owned by the British Indian Steam Navigation Company, NPR reports.
The exploration company is entitled to 80 percent of the treasure's value, according to FOX News. The other 20 percent will go to the British government.
For more details on the discovery, watch the video report above.