This story comes courtesy of The City Maven.
For the first time in seven years, Art Walk organizers in downtown Los Angeles will be on the hook for $8,800 to cover the city services — including police, transportation and sanitation — related to the outdoor event.
The bill comes as the Los Angeles City Council today approved a set of safety recommendations intended to better manage the estimated 15,000 to 30,000 people who attend the event between Main and Spring streets from about Second to Ninth.
Following a July collision that killed an infant during that month’s Art Walk, the city council put together a task force focused on safety measures. As part of implementing those measures, the city directed Art Walk to apply for a special event permit that requires organizers to reimburse the city’s costs. That tab is $8,800, much less than it would if Art Walk did not qualify as a nonprofit.
Art Walk’s executive director, Joe Moller, said that so far he has financial commitments from the food truck vendors at two lots, The Alexandria, the Medallion and Art Walk. It was not yet clear how much money those contributions totaled.
Councilman Jose Huizar represents part of downtown and agreed that the city needs to be paid for its services, but said he also wants to see the event live on.
“At the end of the day, we all want the Art Walk to continue to exist and flourish. We don’t want it to be a victim of its own success,” Huizar said.
The October Art Walk is scheduled for Thursday.
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more