Huffpost Green

Firefighter Saves Dog With Mouth-To-Nose Resuscitation (VIDEO)

Posted: Updated:

Tragedy struck the house of Kim Carlson and Dwight Borchardt in Wisconsin on Tuesday afternoon, when a fire allegedly started by a faulty box fan caused an estimated $30,000 in damage, The Today Show reported. It also almost claimed the life of the family's 7-year-old dog, Koda.

That is, until firefighter Jamie Giese stepped in. Using a technique that he had "only seen on TV," Jamie was able to revive the unconscious pup by performing mouth-to-nose (or snout) resuscitation.

The firefighter told the Wausau Daily Herald that he found the dog on a rocking chair in the room where the fire started, and carried him outside.

"It was all improvised," he told the paper.

According to Fox News, the rest of the family and their two cats were uninjured from the fire.

The fortunate pooch appeared healthy and extremely loved on TODAY, and as the publication noted, he remains a part of the family thanks to Jesse's actions.

Although there are no clear statistics, the Rhode Island Veterinary Medical Association suggest that anywhere from 40,000 to 150,000 pets die each year in fires, many from smoke inhalation.

Some organizations are now advocating for the use of pet oxygen masks, designed to help animals after exposure to a fire.

WATCH the lucky pup get rescued:

WATCH The Today Show report:

Visit for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Around the Web

"Spikey" Dog Rescued From L.A. River Goes Home -

Wisconsin Firefighters Reportedly Use Mouth-to-Nose Respiration ...

Wausau firefighter Saves Dog Mouth To Mouth « CBS Minnesota

Fireman saves dog from Los Angeles river - Tampa Bay Dog Scene ...

Dog saves family from house fire

From Our Partners