James Murdoch has been called back to testify before the UK Parliament regarding News Corp.'s phone hacking scandal. Murdoch is expected to return to Parliament's Culture, Media and Sport select committee on November 10.
This announcement follows a very testy week for the Murdoch family, as James' father and News Corp. head Rupert Murdoch faced angry shareholders on Friday. Earlier in the month, Julian Pike, a lawyer who formerly represented News Corp.'s subsidiary International News, said during his testimony that management (James Murdoch included) had misled Parliament during a 2009 hearing about the extent of its knowledge of phone hacking.
James Murdoch appeared in front of Parliament in July of this year with his father and former News International head Rebekah Brooks. Murdoch said he was not made aware of a wider level of phone hacking till 2010. He also said that he had signed-off on a payment of hundreds of thousands of pounds to Professional Footballers Association head Gordon Taylor without knowledge as to why he was doing so.
Just a few days after Murdoch's testimony, former News of the World editor Colin Myler and lawyer Tom Crone issued a statement contradicting James Murdoch's key claim regarding Gordon Taylor. The two former employees wrote that James Murdoch was definitely made aware of the extent of the Gordon Taylor lawsuit prior to approving the payment and even saw transcripts of the phone messages that were hacked.
Murdoch has since maintained his original story, but it is those discrepancies that will be of most interest to Parliament.