Apple Potato Salad
Provided by: Marcus Samuelsson
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 Idaho potatoes, washed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped skinless almonds
- 2 Granny Smith apples, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cubed Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and sauté until softened, about 10 minutes, then add half the onion, garlic, ginger, and almonds. Sauté until the onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add half the apples and butter and sauté until softened, another 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a medium sized serving bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix mayonnaise and sour cream together, add remaining apple, remaining onion, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, and capers. Toss well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on top of warm potato mixture. Garnish with the parsley and chives.