Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 465 calories/serving
- 3 baking apples, such as Gala or Golden Delicious (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, quartered, cored and cut crosswise in thin slices
- 4 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
- 4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons cold stick butter or margarine, cut in small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 box (15 ounces) refrigerated ready-to-use pie crust
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray six 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins with nonstick cooking spray. Have a jelly-roll pan ready.
- Put apple slices in a medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the sugar, the flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, orange peel and allspice; toss to mix.
- Put sprayed custard cups on jelly-roll pan (to catch drips). Fill cups with apple mixture, then dot with butter.
- Break egg into a small bowl. Beat with a fork to blend yolk and white. Unfold pie crusts and place on work surface. Using 10-ounce custard cup or 41/2-inch plate as a guide, cut 3 circles from each crust. Brush edge of each circle with beaten egg. Place, brushed side down, over filled cups, pressing crust onto cup to seal. Brush crusts with egg.
- Cut leaves from pastry scraps and arrange on crusts. Brush with egg and sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Cut slits in crusts for steam to escape.
- Bake 30 minutes or until apples are tender when pierced through a slit in the pastry and crusts are golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.