Asparagus Rolls with Prosciutto and Basil Ricotta Cheese
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Diane Forley
total prep 203 calories/serving
The creamy basil ricotta spread makes a great dip on its own.
- 1/2 cup whole basil leaves
- 1/2 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 pound medium asparagus spears, about 16 pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 slices thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Trim two inches from ends of asparagus. Have a medium size bowl of ice water ready for chilling basil and asparagus. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil with salt. Add basil leaves to water and blanch until leaves brighten, about 20 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon and plunge into ice water. Remove and squeeze out excess water. Add asparagus to boiling water and cook 5 to 7 minutes, until ends are soft when pinched. Remove from water and chill in ice water to stop cooking.
- Place blanched basil leaves into blender or food processor. Add ricotta cheese, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Lay out slices of prosciutto on a cutting board. Place dollop of ricotta mixture on one end of the prosciutto slice. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Arrange two asparagus spears at the edge of each prosciutto slice and begin rolling around the asparagus until the end of the prosciutto is reached. Arrange on platter and serve.