Asparagus with Citrus Vinaigrette
Provided by: Marcus Samuelsson
In KitchenDaily's video series, Marcus' Kitchen, Chef Marcus Samuelsson demonstrates that "American" cuisine is really a delicious melting pot that draws upon flavors from all over the world. Watch the related video to see Marcus prepare the Asparagus with Citrus Vinaigrette.
- CITRUS VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cayenne pepper (also called finger chili), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons sliced shallots
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch of green asparagus, bottoms removed
- 1 bunch of white asparagus, stalk lightly peeled, bottoms removed
- 2 quarts water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- To make vinaigrette, heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add in the almonds, garlic, shallots, and chilies and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil and juice, bring to a boil. Add in the mint, simmer for 2 minutes then remove from the heat.
- To make green asparagus, bring water to a boil with salt. Blanch asparagus for 30 seconds. To make white asparagus, bring water to a boil with salt. Simmer white asparagus for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over asparagus and finish with parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.