Asparagus with Sesame Vinaigrette
New Media Publishing
Provided by: Alexis Touchet
Asparagus spears are fun to eat and so visually beautiful on a plate. The flavor combination of sesame and mustard produces a tantalizing blend of East and West that will please everyone lucky enough to sit at your table.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 bunches asparagus, preferably medium; about 1 3/4 pound, trimmed
- Toast sesame seeds in a small heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until pale golden, 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a small bowl. Whisk together oils, vinegar, mustard, half of sesame seeds, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined well.
- Steam asparagus on a large steamer rack set over boiling water, covered, until just tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Gently toss asparagus with vinaigrette and serve sprinkled with remaining sesame seeds.