Baked Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Provided by: Sam Talbot
- SOAK YOUR BIRD, MARINATE YOUR BREASTS: Into a bowl of buttermilk add some salt, pepper and a touch of Dijon mustard. Place your bone-in chicken breasts into the bowl, making sure they are fully immersed. Allow to marinate for a ½ hour.
- GET CRUNCHY; CHIPS AND FLAKES: Put the baked potato chips into a food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds. Place the ground chips into a bowl. Be sure and use baked potato chips, not fried -- we want to keep it healthy!
- Put the corn flakes into the food processor and pulse until they are about the same consistency as your potato chips. Then add the flakes to the bowl with the chips.
- SPICE IT UP, MIX IT UP: Add the salt and pepper to your potato chips and corn flakes, as well as a touch of cayenne pepper. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- NO BALD SPOTS!: Take a chicken breast and place it into the breading bowl. Be sure to thoroughly coat it all around, ensuring that no buttermilk or raw chicken is visible. Repeat process for all of your chicken breasts.
- GBD: Spray-coat your cooking pan with olive oil cooking spray and place your chicken breasts uniformly on pan. Once the breasts are on the pan, spray the top of them with your olive oil cooking spray. This will give the breasts the sought after “Golden Brown and Delicious” finish.
- GET IT IN THE OVEN: Place your pan into a 375º oven and cook for around 40 to 55 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it.
- SERVE: Plate your chicken breasts along some beautiful grilled and enjoy a healthy and delicious Southern staple!