Barilla® Lasagna with Vegetables and Saffron
Provided by: Barilla
- 9 sheets Barilla Oven Ready Lasagna
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can (14 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained, chopped (may substitute 4 large fresh artichoke hearts cut into 1/2-inch pieces and sautéed in olive oil 2 minutes)
- 6 medium asparagus spears, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups peeled eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh mushroom caps (reserve stems for another time), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1. Heat milk in saucepan until bubbles begin to form around edge; stir in saffron. Remove from heat and let steep 30 minutes.
- 2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté artichoke hearts, asparagus, zucchini and eggplant 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- 3. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add milk in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Bring mixture to boiling. Simmer 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in 1 cup of the Parmigiano cheese until melted.
- 4. Spread small amount of sauce over bottom of buttered 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Top with 3 lasagna sheets. Cover with half of the vegetable mixture and one-third of the sauce. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining 3 lasagna sheets and sauce, making sure sheets are completely covered with sauce.
- 5. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 25 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.