Beef Stew with Red Wine, Root Vegetables and Garlic Bread
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- BEEF STEW
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds lean beef shoulder, cut into large bite-size cubes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 onions, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 very ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock or beef broth
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- GARLIC BREAD
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 baguette, halved lengthwise
- Preheat a heavy large pot over high heat until it is very hot and the first wisp of white smoke appears. Meanwhile, sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper.
- Add the oil to the hot pot and immediately add the beef. If your pan is not wide enough to hold the beef in a single layer and without crowding it, cook the beef in two batches.
- Cook until the beef is brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer the beef to a bowl. Reduce the heat to medium-high.
- Add the onions and garlic, then the rosemary and thyme to the same pot and cook for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, then add the wine, stirring to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Simmer for 8 minutes, or until the wine has reduced by about half.
- Return the beef and accumulated juices in the bowl to the pot.
- Add the beef stock and bring to a gentle simmer. The beef should be just covered with the cooking liquid. Decrease the heat to medium-low.
- Place a lid on the pot and cook, simmering very gently and stirring occasionally, until the beef is almost tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the parsnips, carrot, and turnip and return the lid to the pot.
- Simmer gently for about 1 hour longer, or until the vegetables are tender and the beef is tender enough to cut with a spoon.
- To make the garlic bread:
- Preheat a griddle pan over medium heat. Mix the butter, parsley and garlic in a small bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread the garlic butter over the cut sides of the baguette.
- Grill the bread, cut side down, until it is heated through and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon the beef stew into 4 to 6 serving bowls and serve with the garlic bread.