Best Fudge Brownies
Best Fudge Brownies
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for coating foil
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup fresh mint sprigs, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with 2-inch-high sides with foil. Butter the foil. Stir 3/4 cup of the butter and the 6 ounces of unsweetened chocolate in a large bowl set over a medium saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth. Cool until mixture is nearly room temperature.
- Whisk in the sugar, vanilla, and salt. Whisk in the eggs 1 at a time. Stir in the flour just until blended.
- Stir in the 3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate and the walnuts.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Cool the brownies on a rack.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the cream and 1/2 cup of the mint in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, muddling and stirring often. Place the finely chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Set a strainer over the chocolate in the bowl. Pour the minted cream through the strainer and over the chocolate; discard the mint leaves. Stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is well blended. Cool to room temperature. Whip the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream until well blended but still light and airy.
- Using the foil as an aid, lift the brownie from the pan. Remove the foil. Cut the brownies into squares. Spoon the frosting generously atop the brownies.
- Garnish with fresh mint and serve.