Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 464 calories/serving
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, well drained
- 11/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) butter, softened
- 1 brick (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 31/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- To decorate: green, blue, pink and yellow paste (gel) food color, 4 qt-size plastic freezer bags, 12 thin pretzel sticks, 12 semisweet chocolate mini Kisses and tiny flower candies
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line 12 regular-size (21/2-in. diameter) muffin cups with foil or paper liners.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, vanilla and salt with mixer on high speed 1 minute or until well blended. Add eggs; beat 2 minutes or until fluffy. Reduce speed to low; beat in bananas and pineapple (batter will look curdled), then flour just until blended. Spoon into lined muffin cups (they’ll be full).
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes from pan to rack to cool completely.
- Frosting: Beat ingredients in a large bowl with mixer on low speed until blended. Increase speed to high; beat 2 minutes or until smooth and fluffy.
- To decorate: Tint 1/4 cup frosting green and spoon into a plastic bag; set aside. Divide remaining frosting among 3 small cups and tint blue, pink and yellow. Cover tightly until using.
- Peel liners off cupcakes; place on a flat tray. Working with 1 color frosting at a time, drop a heaping tsp on 4 cupcakes; spoon remainder into a plastic bag. Snip 1/8-in. tip off corner of bag and pipe lines of frosting to simulate thatch for roof as shown (see larger photo, page 118). Snip tip off corner of bag with green frosting; pipe grass around base of cupcakes. Insert pretzels and Kisses; press flowers on grass.
- Planning Tip: The cupcakes can be decorated up to 3 hours ahead. Refrigerate until serving.