Bittersweet Chocolate Glazed Espresso Brownie Bites
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Alexis Touchet
These sweet little bites deliver a hit of chocolate intensity backed with an espresso punch.
- FOR BROWNIES:
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cold large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- FOR GLAZE:
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Garnish: chocolate-covered espresso beans (optional)
- Equipment: a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking pan
- Make brownies: Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle. Line baking pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on short sides, then butter foil.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a medium metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove bowl from pan, then stir in sugar, espresso powder, vanilla, and salt with a large spoon. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring until smooth and mixture leaves side of bowl. Add flour and stir until just combined.
- Transfer batter to pan and bake until a tester inserted into center comes out with some crumbs adhering, 20 to 25 minutes. (Do not overbake.) Cool in pan on a rack 30 minutes.
- Make glaze: Meanwhile, combine all glaze ingredients in a metal bowl, then set over a pan of barely simmering water and heat, stirring, just until smooth. Remove from pan, then pour glaze over pan of warm brownies and spread evenly with a small offset spatula. Let stand at room temperature until glaze is set, about 3 hours. Remove brownies from pan using foil as an aid and cut into 1-inch bites with a thin blade knife, cleaning knife as necessary to maintain a clean edge. Garnish with espresso beans.
- Make ahead: Brownie layer can be made 3 days ahead (without glaze) and kept chilled in 1 piece wrapped well in foil. Bring to room temperature before glazing, about 2 hours. Glazed and cut brownie bites can be made 1 day ahead and kept, loosely covered, at room temperature.