Black-eyed Peas and Ham
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Ruth Cousineau
Make a pan of corn bread and stir-fry some greens to accompany the peas and ham for a quick Southern-style dinner.
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, drained well
- 1/2 piece smoked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- hot sauce to taste
- Cook celery and onions with 1/4 each tsp salt and pepper in oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 1 cup water and simmer 3 minutes. Add peas and ham and simmer, covered, just until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley and season with hot sauce to taste.