Blushing Grapefruit Cupcakes
Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 218 calories/serving
- 11/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 11/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp each baking soda and salt
- 1/4 cup each oil and water
- 3 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 tsp fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 tsp each freshly grated grapefruit and lemon peel
- 1 brick (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 tsp each freshly grated grapefruit and lemon peel
- 11/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 drops red food color
- 3 cups grapefruit segments, preferably Ruby Red
- Garnish: mint leaves
- Cupcakes: Heat oven to 350°F. Line 16 regular-size (21⁄2-in. diam) muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in center; put oil, water, egg yolks, 3 Tbsp grapefruit juice and the grated peels in well. Whisk liquids to mix, then whisk with flour mixture just until blended and smooth.
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with mixer on high speed until frothy. Add remaining 1 tsp grapefruit juice; beat just until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted. With a rubber spatula, stir 1⁄3 the beaten egg whites into the cupcake batter, then gently fold in remaining whites just until blended. Spoon 1⁄4 cup into each lined cup.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes until tops are browned and a pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes before removing to rack to cool completely.
- Frosting: Beat ingredients (except grapefruit segments) in a medium bowl with mixer on low speed just to blend. On high speed, beat until smooth and fluffy. Finely chop 1 grapefruit segment and stir into frosting. Spread on cupcakes.
- Just before serving: Drain remaining grapefruit segments well and place on cupcakes; garnish with mint.
- Can be made through Step 5 up to 3 days ahead. Refrigerate airtight. Section grapefruit up to 1 day before using; refrigerate covered.