Bourbon Bread Pudding
Provided by: Marcus Samuelsson
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced and scraped
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3 ounces Bourbon
- 4 cups 1/2-inch cubes of day-old brioche
- 1/2 cup sour dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces butter diced, plus more for baking pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamom, brown sugar, coconut milk and the vanilla bean into a medium sauce pot with 2 ounces of butter and bring mixture to a simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Discard the vanilla pod, cloves and cinnamon sticks. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, toss the chocolate, brioche, bourbon, eggs, cherries and cranberries. Pour the spiced coconut milk over the bread mixture. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 1 hour to let the bread absorb the liquid.
- Butter an 8-inch square baking dish. Pour the bread mixture into the dish and bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.