Butternut Squash Salad with Hazelnuts
Provided by: Food&Wine
This lovely winter salad gets a double hit of hazelnuts: hazelnut oil in the rich dressing and toasted hazelnuts in the salad.
- 3 1/2 cup(s) diced butternut squash
- 3 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) blanched hazelnuts
- 3 cup(s) baby arugula, 3 ounces
- 1 medium head frisée, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 ounce(s) prosciutto, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) snipped chives
- 2 1/2 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon(s) hazelnut oil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425°. On a baking sheet, toss the squash with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, until tender. Spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and toast for 6 minutes, until golden. Let cool, then chop.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss the arugula, frisée, prosciutto, chives, hazelnuts and squash. In a small microwave-safe bowl, mix the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the vinegar and hazelnut oil and season with salt and pepper. Microwave the dressing until hot, about 1 minute. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss well and serve.