Caesar Salad with Peppered Tofu
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Adeena Sussman
total prep 619 calories/serving
In this recipe, the tofu becomes the “croutons”. A classic Caesar dressing is adapted to use no eggs, but you’ll never notice.
- 4 anchovies, drained
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, weighted and drained
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, chopped, about 12 cups
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place anchovies, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a food processor and blend to process, about 30 seconds. Drizzle in olive oil in a slow, steady stream to make a creamy dressing. Reserve.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Pat tofu cubes dry with paper towels and sprjnkle with remaining ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add seasoned tofu cubes and cook until browned and crispy on all sides, turning with tongs every 2 minutes or so for a total of 8 minutes, Remove and drain on paper towels. Place lettuce, dressing and ¾ cup cheese in a large salad bowl and toss to coat. Distribute among 6 bowls and top with tofu “croutons”. Dust with additional parmesan cheese and serve immediately.