Provided by: Curtis Stone
- 1 11-ounce baguette
- 2 T butter
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 2 filets anchovy
- 1/3 c finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1/4 c grapeseed oil
- 2 T water (optional)
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- shaved Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- black pepper freshly ground
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Using a serrated knife remove the crust from the baguette then tear the bread into bite-size pieces.
- Melt the butter with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy large sauté pan over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the bread pieces and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the bread pieces to a baking sheet and bake until golden brown and crisp about 12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Finely chop the garlic and anchovy filets in a food processor.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, egg yolk and mustard and blend well.
- With the processor on, slowly drizzle in the grapeseed oil and the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil until the dressing is thick and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If necessary add enough water to thin the dressing to the desired consistency.
- Remove the tough outer leaves from each head of lettuce. Rinse the lettuce in cold water then tear the lettuce into bite-size pieces.
- Spin the lettuce in a lettuce spinner to remove the excess water. Refrigerate until cold.
- Toss the lettuce in a large bowl with enough dressing to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad with the croutons then divide the salad among serving plates. Garnish with the shaved Parmesan and serve.
- Visit http://curtisstone.com.